Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Photos near the Kirksville farm

This location is my best guess for the location of J. D. Rowlison's farm in Missouri. The tree line over my shoulder is Bear Creek. The road behind me is State Route 11 about 1/4 mile from highway 63. The farm description included a reference to the N. W. Railroad. The St. Louis, Kansas City and Northern Railroad is listed on a reference to Troy Mills. I found another reference that called it the St. L. K. C. N. W. Railroad so the N. W. reference makes sense. This hay land is typical of this immediate area. The better crop land is on the North side of Kirksville.




This is the convenience store 2 miles west of Highway 63 and apparently near the site of the Troy Mills Wollen Mills, though the folks in the store did not know where the Troy Mills name originated.









And this is the antique store on the west side of Highway 63 south of Kirksville and just north of the Route 11 intersection. These folks identified the creek behind them and to the south as Bear Creek. They also said that a railroad had once been along the present site of highway 63. I place the farm to the southwest of this store, possibly across on the south side of Bear Creek.

I declared this to be a successful day of exploring and hunting.

Jerry

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jerry,

I have information regarding a Rowlison family farm in the area. It may be the one you are looking for. I spent the summers there as a child bailing hay and milking cows. You can reach me at dk809@comcast.net My father was Roland Rowlison his brothers were Richard and Earnest, and his sisters were Marita and Verlee. Please feel free to contact me. Thank you, Dennis Rowlison