Thursday, August 16, 2007

JD Rowlison Short Autobio - 1881

Several letters and notes from the Rowlison family made their way to Mildred Johnson via Maggie and Ethel Rowlison. Mildred transcribed these into her scrap books. I'll be posting some of these here... Jerry Johnson

Nuckolls County State of Nebraska
June A. D. 1881
To all whom it may concern: Know ye, that I, James D. Rowlison of said Co. and state above written do make known and declare that what I shall write will be the truth and nothing but the truth concerning my interest and demands that I shall make on account of the Estate of the late Aaron Rowlison, my father left by will to his heirs. In the first place I was born in Jefferson Co. Ind. on Apr. 3, 1839. Started to school the spring that I was 6 years old which was the last summer---I ever attended, had to stay at home and hoe corn and chop weeds till I was old enough to manage a single shovel plow and one horse, at the age of 11 years I commenced plowing with a breaking plow and 2 horses but could not manage both at once, my younger brother rode the near horse and managed them and I the plow. The spring that I was 17 years old my father had a mare that brought a colt that took the scours that being stoped it took cold, distemper got very poor and crooked. One morning he said to me that you will doctor that colt take care of it and raise it-I could have it as my own. During the winter next-a sow had pigs at a hay stack in the meadow all died but two they got mangey looked like they would all die too, he told my brother and I that we would take them and take care of them we could have them as our own- Saw a chance for a saddle for my colt. My brother got discouraged Sold me his pig for 15 cts. Sold that same pig on the streets of Dupont- that is the pork- at daylight, the next Oct. for over $16. Father claimed a part of it for feed furnished-gave it to him-bought me a saddle bridle and martingales and a few clothes. The other was a sow and raised 8 fine pigs. My father --- good suit of clothes to attend State fair at Lafayette and visit a brother in law of his in Montgomery Co. Ind. When he came back he said it was too fine a suit for him to wear, bartered me to swap them even for my sow and pigs for he said if he let me go on I would over stock the place. By the way it was the best suit of clothes I ever had while I was at home. They being mostly home spun about this time. I wanted to attend a singing ------ month to get a book and pay for the school but he said it was no use for me to be fooling away time at singing school. Went to Philip Von Dissen living on the Capt Wilson place borrowed the money got the book and paid for the school. Paid the money back by splitting rails at odd spells. During the campaign of 1860, Stephen A. Douglas was to speak at Indapo wanted to go and hear him, asked for monehy to go, and hear him speak couldn’t get it, went to Mr. John Elliot, borrowed it, paid it back working at odd spells for him. Helped tend the farm the summer of 1860 the same as I had always done receiving nothing but my board my father gave me and my brother 4 acres of ground to put in wheat in 59 or 60 to raise for half he------

No comments: